Transition to digital broadcasting was the country's international obligation and large scale reform, which in close cooperation with the country's legal and executive authorities, broadcasters, investors, non-governmental organizations, international organizations and neighboring countries, with the relevant action plans and programs, has been implementing since 2013 and successfully completed in an unprecedented short period of time - by 25 of August 2015.
* Government bought and passed the digital broadcasting individual receivers so called ''Set -Top-Boxes'' for socially vulnerable 211 000 families. For developing the regional broadcasting, 21 local (regional) broadcasters according to their broadcasting licenses distribution area had been assigned the radio spectrum free of charge for providing the local digital terrestrial broadcasting and government paid compensation for the licenses to analog format television broadcasting license holders with a total amount of more than one million GEL.
* The new digital terrestrial TV broadcasting network integration processes was completed in 2016 and provides a digital broadcasting TV signals in the populated shadow areas.
* The license regime for broadcasters was abolished and introduced the simple authorization procedures, which allows broadcasters to transmit TV programs through the digital terrestrial open networks.
* State and private digital terrestrial broadcasting networks (multiplex platforms) are constructed, including the regional networks have already been equipped with new technologies which provide free access for population to the variety of television programs.
* 20 TV programs of national coverage are available to the population free of charge, while before the reform the population had free access to the national coverage 4 TV channels.
* The radio frequencies released by switching to digital broadcasting (so called "Digital dividend") are used to develop modern modern broadband services (LTE, 5G).
|Name of partner||Type of entity|
PUBLIC SECTOR; PRIVATE SECTOR; CSO
Civil Society Organization (CSO)