Strengthening of public media

Dónde
Colombia
When
2020
Quién
Ministry of Information and Communication Technologies
Describe the main features of the policy/measure: 

The Ministry of Information and Communication Technologies (MinTIC) began in 2020 with a historic investment for national and regional public channels that will be used for their strengthening and modernization. This represents an increase of 9% over the previous year. These resources are intended to strengthen the country's audiovisual sector and maintain the quality standard of Colombian productions that has enjoyed great international recognition.

Faced with the issue of public television, the issuance of Law 1978 of 2019 generates the conditions to strengthen and guarantee public media in the long term, as a fundamental element of democracy and preservation of the country's cultural identity. It does this by guaranteeing that annually the resources drawn will grow with inflation; 90% of these resources should be used for audiovisual production and strengthening of the medium. The remaining 10% can be used for operation.

The maximum amount of resources that, since the creation of the Fund for the Development of Television and Contents (FonTV) in 2012, were allocated to RTVC and regional television channels, was maintained as a base for calculating the resources that must be transferred to the channels. Likewise, the average amount allocated to RTVC by the Information and Communications Technology Fund (FonTIC) for public radio broadcasting was maintained. These amounts, brought to their present value, were adjusted by the same percentage as the annual variation of the Consumer Price Index (CPI).

What are the results achieved so far through the implementation of the policy/measure?: 

In 2019, the strengthening of public TV was achieved through:
* Audience measurement: Two audience measurement tools were implemented:
o An artificial intelligence tool, developed in conjunction with RTVC
o The IBOPE tool, which provides basic information on national and regional public television audiences.
* Training and education: A training plan was developed for the audiovisual industry in alliance with RTVC, which took place in the FIMPU Forum (International Forum of Public Media), and was attended by 700 people. Two workshops were held with regional channels, focused on the convergent future of media. Approximately 50 people were trained.
* Content production:
o Two calls addressed to regional channels for content production and co-production.
o Two documentary series developed with the indigenous people of Colombia as a strategy to raise awareness about indigenous practices and wisdom.
o A total of 22 productions have generated close to 700 pieces of media content for TV and other platforms (this includes regional and indigenous calls).
o To commemorate the Bicentennial of Colombian independence, resources were allocated for two related productions (a series and a film.)

The channels have received all financial resources in accordance with the provisions of the Law.

Financial resources allocated to the policy/measure in USD: 

$50.000.000

Partner(s) engaged in the implementation of the measure: 
Name of partnerType of entity
RTVC
Public Sector
Telecafé ·
Public Sector
Canal TRO
Public Sector
Telepacífico
Public Sector
Telecaribe
Public Sector
Teleislas
Public Sector
Teleantioquia
Public Sector
Canal Capital
Public Sector
Canal Trece
Public Sector
Has the implementation of the policy/measure been evaluated?: 
NO
Objetivo(s) de la Convención 2005 de la UNESCO
Dominios culturales
Cine / Artes audiovisuales