The Law of Ukraine “On the State support for the cinematography in Ukraine”
The Law of Ukraine “On the state support for the cinematography in Ukraine” adopted in 2017 defines the framework of the state support of the cinematography in Ukraine in order to create advantageous conditions for the film-making industry and establish transparent procedures of project financing by the state. The law accumulates the best and most efficient mechanisms and instruments tested in different European countries. The specially created working group elaborates the by-laws necessary for the proper implementation of the Law..
The Law provides the transparent state support for the film industry with the aim of promotion of the Ukrainian cinema on TV.
The law foresees the direct State support for the film industry, cash rebate, development of cinema and film distribution network, that will allow to make the commercial films breakeven, anti-piracy measures. The Law changes the approaches for the state financing in the sphere of cinematography and creates the efficient mechanisms of attraction of private financial resources to the film industry, including with the fiscal support of the sphere.
The new law is expected to cause
- increase of the quantity of the films produced in Ukraine, including the national films, and their broadcasting on TV channels in Ukraine
- Increase of the part of the Ukrainian films in the box office results from 2.5% to 25%
- Increase of the quantity of the Ukrainian films and series on national TV channels in 3 times
- Development of the modern infrastructure for film production and distribution
- Investment promotion
- Protection of the intellectual property and anti-piracy actions
- Job creation and tax revenue as a result of the film industry development and the spillover results (tourism, services, theatres, education, advertising etc.