Rational for the Policy
1) The National Policy on Cultural Tourism provides the ideological foundation for social, economic and other forms of development, therefore guiding the growth process, especially in rural areas, by ensuring participation of rural communities in decision-making, the presentation of their cultural and natural environment and in determining the kind of development they aspire to achieve.
2) In the age of globalization, and in light of international national obligations to promote and appreciate the diversity of cultural expressions, the National policy on Cultural Tourism guides Kenya's engagement with other nations and community of nations in its efforts to promote, appreciate safeguard and promote the diversity of cultural expressions for tourism development.
3) The National Policy on Cultural Tourism is premised on the aspirations of the Kenyans for a government based on national values and principles of governance, including human rights, equality, inclusion, social justice, and the rule of law. Further, it is informed by the recognition by Kenyans of their ethnic, cultural and religious diversity and their determination to guard against negative values that may come with tourism and globalization.
4) Recognizing that Kenya is a multi-cultural nation that is endowed with huge cultural resources and Talents, the policy provides a useful guide for nurturing various cultural identities and talents and promotion of Kenya's national values, ideologies and beliefs. It also guides the use of abundant cultural resources and talent for tourist experiences.
5) The Policy is also informed by Kenya's Constitution and international laws that aim to promote, safeguard and protect culture and tourism development. it is, thus, geared towards provision of policy, legislative and institutional frameworks for the adoption of international laws for cultural tourism development.
The draft tourism policy is still in the process of being developed.
|Name of partner||Type of entity|
Ministry of Tourism
Ministry of Sports, Culture and Heritage