Culture Satellite Account
To carry out the economic measurement of the segments of the cultural sector.
To create a focused, continuous, and comparable information system that allows economic valuation of cultural products and of the activities that generate them.
It is a measure for gathering and accessing information in the cultural sector. The variables of the Account are: production, intermediate consumption, value added, offer / usage balances, expenditure tables along with an employment matrix of the cultural sector. The following sectors have been considered for the implementation of the methodology of the Culture Satellite Account: audiovisual, music, performing arts, games and toys, publishing, visual arts, advertising and cultural education.
- To position the Culture Satellite Account as an input for the diagnosis and decision making of public and private agents.
- To improve the availability of cultural sector information in Colombia.
- To constantly improve the sources of information and methodologies for calculating the account variables for each of the sectors.
- To expand the coverage of research to cover more cultural sectors.
- To work with the DANE (National Administrative Department of Statistics) to improve the availability of information of the account in areas such as domestic and foreign trade of services as well as the identification of secondary activities of employees.
- To constantly improve methodologies and data collection to encompass information coming from media outlets of cultural services and goods, such as virtual platforms.
Resources assigned to this measure are directly associated with the technical team that implements the measurement of the Account, in which two members are appointed by the DANE and another two appointed by the Ministry of Culture. For 2012-2016, the resources invested in this measure were: $470.999 USD
The specificities of the cultural sector require constant update, inclusion of new sources and alternative approaches for the calculation of the data processed by the Culture Satellite Account. Additionally, the contrast with other sources of data and non- monetary indicators is crucial for strengthening data analysis.