The first program, developing cultural institutions, aims to replace and renovate some cultural institutions, while for other institutions it aims to increase their efficiency, rehabilitate and secure them. It also aims to incorporate new institutions into cultural services according to specific schedules.
* To implement the Cultural Institution Development Program, cultural institutions were redeveloped, and their efficiency was increased at a financial cost of 1.28 billion EGP. The Ministry of Culture inaugurated 18 cultural sites in 11 governorates, including culture palaces and culture houses. Seven theatres were also reopened and inaugurated after their redevelopment at a financial cost of around 266 million EGP, including the National Theatre, El Taliaa Theatre (Vanguard Theatre), the Cairo Puppet Theatre, the Floating Theatre, Al Ghad Theater (Theatre of Tomorrow), and Mohamed Abdel Wahab Theatre in Alexandria.
* Within the framework of the Cultural Institution Development Program, National Library and Archives in the area of Bab El Khalk was also reopened at a cost of 45 million EGP, and the National Library and Archives' reading room was inaugurated at a financial cost of around 5.8 million EGP. The arts and music hall was also inaugurated, along with the Naguib Mahfouz Museum and Creativity Centre in the Muhammad Bek Abul-Dahab Complex in Al-Azhar district, which was inaugurated at a financial cost of 13.3 million EGP. The General Egyptian Book Authority also reopened its outlet in Beirut, Lebanon, and opened a new outlet in Beni-Suef University. Moreover, The Translator's Library and Misr Public Library's new branch in Damanhour were inaugurated.
* Regarding the sites targeted for inauguration until the end of 2020, we aim to inaugurate 18 projects at a financial cost of 756 million EGP.
* The objectives of the Cultural Institute Development Program include digitization. In light of the State's tendency towards digitization, the Ministry of Culture has taken serious steps in the Digitization Project, which targets the provision of cultural services to the largest possible audience within Egypt and abroad, in collaboration with the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology. Around five thousand Arabic books, translations into numerous languages, 100 historical manuscripts, documentaries, films, plays, cultural and artistic programs, rare maps, microfilms, and catalogues were prepared for the Greater Cairo Public Library, the Misr Public Library, the Cairo Opera House, and the square beautification projects.
* The programs also ensure restructuring the administrative apparatus of the Ministry of Culture and enhancing the capacities and efficiency of its personnel through training and qualifying courses and by developing their skills. This contributed to creating a new generation of trained young leaders, as well as restructuring the Supreme Council of Culture and its committees within the framework of the Sustainable Development Strategy (SDS): Egypt Vision 2030, and as part of the cultural policy planning in accordance with the State's general strategy.
(1US$ = Average 15.5 EGP)
|Name of partner||Type of entity|
- Supreme Council of Culture - Culture palaces in the different governorates - Public libraries in the different governorates - The General Egyptian Book Organization - Cultural Development Fund - National Center for Translation - Media