Creation of the General Directorate of Cultural Industries and Arts in the structure of the Ministry of Culture
The General Directorate of Cultural Industries and Arts is the technical, regulatory and promoter responsible for formulating, coordinating, implementing and monitoring at the national level, policies, strategies and actions to stimulate artistic creation and encourage artistic activity in various fields and to promote productivity and competitiveness of the industries that are linked directly to the creation, production and distribution of cultural goods and services that are protected usually by copyright.
The General Directorate of Cultural Industries and Arts has main functions
- Promote research and production of cultural sector information and the development of tools for dissemination and knowledge.
- Promote training and professionalism in Arts, encouraging training, artistic exchange and systematization of experiences in this field.
- Promote the creation and artistic production in varied expressions and encourage the development of initiatives and projects for the creation and development of clusters, associations and cultural institutions linked to artistic activity.
- Coordinate, monitor and evaluate the artistic programming of the casts of the Ministry of Culture.
- Declare about public entertainment not sports whose contents consider contributions to the development of our culture, keeping consistent with the current legislation.
- Give recognition to associations and cultural centers to entities that deserve it and promote their development.
- Grant nominal auspices, letters of artistic accreditation and declare cultural interest the activities and initiatives in different fields of artistic activity that deserve it.
- Promote the development of shows, events, exhibitions, festivals, fairs, competitions, awards, incentive programs, competitive funds, among other actions to encourage the practice, knowledge and dissemination of artistic activity in the country.
On May 14, 2011 was created by Supreme Decree No. 001-2011-MC of the Rules of Organization and Functions of the Ministry of Culture, the General Directorate of Cultural Industries and Arts (DGICA) and three offices among which is the Department of Arts and Cultural Access (DAAC).
The creation of the Ministry of Culture considered to integrate into its structure a General Directorate that focuses on the development of cultural industries and arts. This directorate is part of the Vice Ministry of Heritage and Cultural Industries and Arts and is responsible for implementing various programs and projects that seek diversity of cultural expressions in Peru.
As a legal framework for the creation of the General Directorate of Cultural Industries and Arts are the following rules:
- Law No. 29565, Law of creation of the Ministry of Culture
- Law No. 27444, General Administrative Procedure Act
- Supreme Decree N º 001-2010-MC and No. 002-2010-MC, approves mergers of entities and institutions within the Ministry of Culture
- Supreme Decree 001-2011-MC, which approves the Regulation of Organization and Functions of the Ministry of Culture.
Challenges identified in the implementation of this measure:
Developing strategies and programs to dynamize and strengthen cultural industries and national arts considering the assigned budgets.
Positioning cultural industries and arts as development factors and social transformation.
Promote wide access to the diversity of cultural and artistic expressions.
Reviewing, strengthening and updating policy frameworks for improving competitive environment of cultural industries and stimulate artistic activity.
Generation of knowledge and research on Arts and Cultural Industries.
Integration and articulation with other sectors and government levels.
Visibility of the Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity and the Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions.