Activities concerning the History of Slavery
Objetivos clave de la medida:
Minister Bussemaker strives for more visible and sustainable attention for the history of slavery. She organized a round table on this topic with institutions and experts from the cultural and scientific sectors. While many activities take place relating to this subject, more collaboration and coordination could be established to enhance impact.
Alcance de la medida:
Naturaleza de la medida:
Característica principal de la medida:
- The National Museum of World Cultures organised an international symposium on slavery as a shared past (2017).
- Rijksmuseum, Tropenmuseum and Amsterdam Museum have been reviewing the descriptions of objects in their collections since 2015, and are replacing possible offensive texts and proposing alterations in the display of subjects. Starting in 2017, the Cultural Heritage Agency of the Ministry of Culture is offering support for this project.
- Well known are the national commemoration of the abolition of slavery at the monument in Amsterdam (Oosterpark) and Keti Koti Festival in Rotterdam, both on July 1st. The commemoration in Amsterdam, organised by NiNsee (National Institute Dutch Slavery Past and heritage), is funded by the Ministry of Culture (via Mondriaan Fund) and the city of Amsterdam. NiNsee is an institution funded by the city of Amsterdam. Part of its activities is funded by the Ministry of Social Affairs.
- The Ministry of Social Affairs is coordinating activities within the UN Decade for people of African descent.
- The Network for the History of Slavery (Netwerk Slavernijverleden) started in 2014. It consists of a diverse range of cultural and scientific organisations and experts. The network has three subdivisions: Education, Research & Heritage, and Art & Culture. Its mission is to disseminate knowledge on the history of slavery to the wider public, and to involve different stakeholders. The Municipality of Amsterdam provides some funding for the Network.
Resultados esperados a través de la implementación de la medida:
An increase of the impact of activities regarding the history of slavery by more collaboration and coordination.
Recursos financieros asignados para implementar la medida:
The commemoration is funded via Mondriaan Fund.
Objetivo(s) de la Convención 2005 de la UNESCO