The government of Timor-Leste has implemented policy to ensure the diversity in media ownership since 2012. The related policy is:
- National Communications Authority of Timor-Leste (ANC)
The government has adopted new policy for telecommunication in 2012, in order to reinforcing Social Communication Low which aims to allow the participation of new media operators in marketing competitive. The policy succeeds to increasing the diversity in media ownership in Timor-Leste, notably, allowing the entrance of two new mobile phone service that are providing the community access to video and TV program.
Pursuant to article 22 of the Social Communication Law on the establishment of the media, the policy is offering space for the establishment of a National Authority of telecommunications. The authority plays a role as a regulatory body for telecommunication and has the competence to register and grant permission for the creation and transmission of communication networks, to offer various services in the diversification of the media, guaranteeing the community access to the various communication channels.
In general, policies and measures to ensure the diversity in media ownership are recognized to contribute toward the following National Strategies for cultural development (Details; Goal 1 National Strategy and Frameworks for Development of Cultural and Creative Sectors):
1. disseminate and promote cultural heritage; and
2. cooperate with national and international universities to capacitate Timorese cultural professionals in development of cultural
Reported achievements include:
1. up to now, 22 radio stations, 5 free-to-air television stations, and 1 pay-tv station are established; and
2. following private sector media, such as: Group of media National or well known as Grupu Media Nasional (GMN TV), Gardamor
TV no Educational television or well known as Televizaun Edukasaun (TVE), Timor post, independent, Suara Timor Lorosa'e (STL)
Media Group, Dili post, Dili Weekly, RTK, Radio of Comoro community or well known as Radio Comunidade Comoro, Radio voice
of Loriku community or well known as Radio Comunidade Lorico Lian, Radio Rakambia, Radio liberdade, and Radio Voz are
|Name of partner||Type of entity|
State Secretary for Social Communication