The project aims at strengthening cultural development at the local level through the formulation and implementation of cultural policies and programs and capacity-building.
The Directorate of Studies and Planning of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Burkina Faso is the office in charge of elaborating cultural policies and monitoring their implementation.
- The main communes of 13 regions in Burkina Faso have a cultural policy and program.
- The capacities of the locally elected officials and cultural players, as well as the representatives of civil society of the main communes of the 13 regions, are strengthened.
- Forums for local and national cooperation are created and are functional.
- Organizing an awareness raising campaign with locally elected officials, local cultural players and development stakeholders in the main urban communes of the 13 regions to facilitate their support to decentralize cultural responsibilities.
- Training stakeholders in planning and monitoring cultural policies, partnership building, developing cultural and artistic activities and structuring of cultural players.
- Creating 13 local consultation forums in the main communes of the regions for monitoring the local cultural policy and programme, as well as a national forum for cooperation between the Ministry of Culture and local authority representatives, local cultural players and civil society in Ouagadougou.
- Contributes to the implementation of public policies to promote cultural industries in Burkina Faso – both the capacity-building of policy-makers and the awareness-raising campaign are instrumental in ensuring effective policy interventions to develop competitive and dynamic local cultural industries.
- Reaffirms the importance of the link between culture and development – training local authorities, local cultural players and representatives of civil society provides them with the tools and resources to understand the value of culture and the opportunities that it brings to development processes.
- Engages the active cooperation of public and civil society stakeholders – establishing forums for cooperation and dialogue among key local cultural players fosters better monitoring of the decentralization of cultural action.