Terrorism and Media Resource Hub
Terrorism Media Resources
AT A GLANCE
Sustainable sources of public funding are key to the development and long-term viability of community broadcasting.
- Experience suggests that the proper development of thiszxzxzxzx sector depends on at least some public funding being provided to support it.
- Ideally, at least some support should be provided via a public fund. This could be part of a broader fund – such as a universal service fund or the fund that is used to support public service broadcasting – or a dedicated fund – for example supported by a direct government grant or cross-subsidies from other broadcasters.
- Such funds should be administered by an independent body to avoid political pressure and influence.
- Community broadcasters should also be able to obtain funding from foreign sources and any limitations on this should be imposed only to support the independence and community nature of this sector.
- Consideration should be given to waiving or reducing the fees normally charged for broadcasting operations (such as license and frequency charges) in the case of community broadcasters, as a form of indirect funding support via reducing expenditures.