For more than 20 years, the Hermanos Saiz Association (AHS) has had a system of scholarships and awards designed to stimulate creation in each of the manifestations of art. Targeted at young Cuban creators up to 35 years of age, the scholarships and awards are the result of the organization's joint work, management and dialogue with Cuban cultural institutions.
Every year, the panel of judges, who examine the projects presented, are made up of renowned personalities within each manifestation and young people with outstanding results and works.
In the performing arts, the Milanes Theater Scholarship is granted, which rewards a staging project or the completion of a play by a young director or playwright. The association financially supports up to five artists during the period of the play's staging. For its part, the National Council for the Performing Arts (CNAE) assumes the costs of production and staging of the award-winning play.
In the field of research, it is consolidated as the La selva oscura Scholarship, which rewards the best research text on a topic or problem of the performing arts. The AHS awards a cash
prize to the young winner. The Editorial Tablas Alarcos of the CNAE is responsible for publishing the awarded work.
In literature, the Fronesis Scholarship rewards a novel project of a young person up to 35 years of old. The AHS funds the completion of the winning project for six months. In addition, the "La noche" scholarship rewards the best children's book project in narrative or poetry in alternate years.
In terms of criticism and research, the Pensamiento Che Guevara Scholarship rewards the best essay project on a topic of criticism and research on any of the manifestations of art, literature, and social sciences. The Association finances the process of elaboration of the project for six months.
In the plastic and visual arts, the Association grants the Antonia Eiriz and Juan Francisco Elso Creation Scholarships. The first one awards the best creation project in the most experimental areas of the visual arts (environments, performance, among others); the second one awards the best creation project in the most traditional areas of the visual arts: photography, painting, ceramics, as well as research in this field. In both cases, the AHS and the National Council of Plastic Arts finance the production of the winning works for a semester.
Music has a more extensive system of scholarships than other manifestations, among which is the Ignacio Villa Creation Scholarship that rewards the best project of a young composer of popular music. The AHS grants a credit to the artist for the completion of the project for six months, while the Empresa de Grabaciones y Ediciones Musicales (EGREM) produces a CD with the winning work and, jointly, they co-produce the concert to present the CD once it is finished and promotional audiovisual material for one of the songs on the album. On the other hand, the Conmutaciones Creation Scholarship rewards the best project of a young composer of concert and experimental music. Like the previous one, the AHS supports the artist and, in this case, together with the company Colibri Productions of the Cuban Music Institute, produces a CD with the winning work, a concert presentation and a promotional video clip.
In vocal performance, the Elena Burke Award is granted and along with the Bis Music label of the Empresa de Promociones Artisticas y Literarias S.A. (ARTEX) produce a CD with the winning piece, a presentation concert and a promotional video clip. In the same way, the instrumental performance is promoted through the Pucho Lopez Prize.
The Chicuelo Audiovisual Creation Scholarship recognizes the best fiction and documentary scriptwriting projects in the audiovisual sector. The Association encourages their development by granting a financial credit for the completion of the winning screenplay projects.
In general, the Association grants the El reino de este mundo Scholarship, which has an integrating nature and from which the production of the projects of its associates in the different manifestations of art is financially supported.
In addition to the scholarship system, the Association has a set of awards that recognize the work of young creators who acknowledge their work in different artistic manifestations, such as:
* The Calendario Prize. It is the most important prize awarded in Cuba to young writers up to 35 years of age. It rewards the genres of poetry, narrative, essay, theater, science fiction, and children's literature. It has a cash prize for the author and the printing of the winning books is done through the Editora Abril. The budget is managed through the Education and Culture Development Fund of the Ministry of Culture.
* The Celestino Short Story Award. It rewards the best short story book from a youngster up to 35 years old. The Ediciones La Luz of the AHS of Holguin awards a cash prize and includes the awarded book in its editorial plan.
* The Sede de Belleza Award. It rewards the best book of essay and journalism; this event is held every other year. The Sed de Belleza publishing house of the AHS, based in Villa Clara province, gives a cash prize and includes the awarded book in its editorial plan.
* The Reina del Mar Editores Award. It rewards the best book of narrative and literary research with a periodicity of alternate years. The Reina del Mar publishing house of the AHS of Cienfuegos grants a cash prize and includes the awarded book in its editorial plan.
* The Mangle Rojo Award. It is aimed at the motivation and development of poetry and narrative. It is assumed under similar conditions by the Editorial Ancoras of the AHS of the Special Municipality Isla de la Juventud.
* The Memoria Nuez Award. It promotes criticism and research. It is awarded within the
framework of the main event of the AHS, the Romerias de Mayo Festival, which is held every year in the city of Holguin.
* The Adolfo Llaurado Performance Award. It awards the best young actors and actresses in the country in different categories and a special award.
* The Aire Frio Award. It recognizes the best staging in the year by a theater group and a young director.
* The Ramiro Guerra Performance Award in Folkloric and Contemporary Dance. It rewards the best performance of young Cuban dancers for their performance in the year in both categories.
* The Almacen de la Imagen Award. It is called by the AHS of Camaguey in several audiovisual categories. It also awards the Luces de la Ciudad Grand Prize. At the same time, it calls for the La imagen del Almacen pitching for the production of fiction and animation works. The Cuban Institute of Art and Film Industry (ICAIC) supports, with financial resources, the production of the winning projects in each category.
* The Antonio Lloga in Memoriam Award. It is called by the AHS of Santiago de Cuba, together with the Cuban Institute of Radio and Television (ICRT) in the radio genres.
* The Ruben Martinez Villena Cultural Journalism Award. It calls young people from the media in the categories of written press, radio, television, and hypermedia.
The fundamental result is based on the possibilities offered by the measure to fulfill the objectives for which the association was created, an experience that enables young creators to be inserted into the system of cultural institutions; it ensures financial assurances to conclude their projects, as well as to promote the work of young artists and creators.
The facilities offered by the system of scholarships and awards allow young creators to promote their artistic and literary works, in various manifestations, throughout the country.
Between 2016 and 2019, 148 projects in the country received direct funding through the Reino de este mundo Scholarship, 38 of them in music, 10 in the performing arts, 78 in audiovisuals, 21 in the visual arts, and 1 in literature.
In general, between 2016 and 2019, more than 60 young people have been granted scholarships to carry out different projects. Similarly, more than 150 young people have been recognized by the system of awards in the various manifestations of creation.
|Name of partner||Type of entity|
The system of cultural institutions
Based on the debates of the 3rd Congress of the Hermanos Saiz Association, the application of this measure defined as priorities the strengthening of rigor in creation, the documentation of new creative practices, the revival of criticism and research, and a change in the dynamics of training in teaching.
Similarly, it is necessary to reinforce the work in the updating of promotion strategies, in the support of some cultural entities, in the issuing of legal norms and the optimization of management mechanisms.