Chapter 8: of the Swaziland National Council Arts and Culture Policy
1. Promoting Unity in Diversity
Due to globalisation, there are diverse cultures in Swaziland. The Policy interventions shall therefore focus on the promotion of harmonious co-existence among the different communities and encourage intra and inter-cultural exchange.
2. Respecting one’s and the others’ Culture
Respect for culture is crucial for mutual interdependence, which is a prerequisite for social harmony and cohesion. The Policy interventions shall focus on advocacy for respect of the individuals’ culture and other cultures.
3. Ensuring Social Inclusion
There are some children, youth, women, the disabled, the elderly, and people living with HIV/AIDS who are marginalised by some socio-cultural practices. These include the shunning of widows in public and community events. The Policy interventions shall therefore focus on affirmative action to ensure that these categories of people participate in and benefit from cultural life.
4. Promoting Cultural Change
Culture is dynamic and cultural change is inevitable. Whilst certain elements of culture are to be preserved, it is important to catalyse change to address social and gender inequalities. The Policy interventions shall therefore encourage adapting and adopting to new ideas and approaches within the laws of Swaziland.
The main featuer of the measure are the:
- Facilitate the implementation of the gender policies and programmes to achieve a culturally supportive society in respect of the rights and status of women and girls.
- Encourage fair and equal treatment of girls and boys by parents.
- Ensure that there is effective and equitable treatment of marriages contracted under customary law and civil law in as far as property rights is concerned.
Women girls and boys tend to suffer the effects of cultural stereotypes, attitudes, indirect and direct marginalisation in various areas, including, in particular, decision making, inheritance, succession, ownership of property and leadership. The expected result through the implimentation of the measure are the promotion and protection of the rights of women to reduce and eliminate gender inequalities and imbalances.
The budget allocation for this measure is under the allocation given to the Swaziland National Council of Arts and Culture.